2nd winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be the third winter with the pond. I cover the pond with a large screened box frame for fall to keep leaves out and I put plastic sheeting on when the snow is imminent. A filterpump is left in along with a surface heater and I always check to see that it does not freeze over (never has). The coy fish were fine in the spring and I dont have any concerns about them. The question is regarding the surface plants. This year we really had a bounty of plant life and Im not sure what to do with them. Can they be left in the pond over the winter??? I hate the thought of pulling them all out but I have no place to keep them from freezing. If I can leave them in place that would be wonderful.
Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Fred.

Attachments

• IMG_5477[1].JPG
    IMG_5477[1].JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 7

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This will be the third winter with the pond. I cover the pond with a large screened box frame for fall to keep leaves out and I put plastic sheeting on when the snow is imminent. A filterpump is left in along with a surface heater and I always check to see that it does not freeze over (never has). The coy fish were fine in the spring and I dont have any concerns about them. The question is regarding the surface plants. This year we really had a bounty of plant life and Im not sure what to do with them. Can they be left in the pond over the winter??? I hate the thought of pulling them all out but I have no place to keep them from freezing. If I can leave them in place that would be wonderful.
Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Fred.
Water Lettuce: Too much trouble to keep over wintered indoors and it won't survive outdoors unless you put it in a greenhouse w/heat in a pond...............again too much trouble I.M.O! Maybe you could keep a few in a heated aquarium w/good lighting but they are cheap so just re-buy next year. If you want plants that survive the winter outside, get some Parrots Feather. It dies down and turns brown but comes back in the Spring. It really grows good so you will eventually have to share some w/friends!
I like the red stemmed variety the best.
IMG_7585.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived way up north, I always removed them before they started to decay. I didn't want that 'gunk' fouling my pond. Take them out and compost them for next spring's garden! Some of our northern members might have a better answer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks!!! I will pull them out and throw them in the wildflower garden. Should I do the same with lily pads and the plants in the attached pic? not sure what they are.

Attachments

• IMG_5485.jpg
    IMG_5485.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - water hyacinth won’t survive the cold.

Question for you though - why are you working so hard to keep the pond from freezing over?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks!!! I will pull them out and throw them in the wildflower garden. Should I do the same with lily pads and the plants in the attached pic? not sure what they are.
Water Lilies can be trimmed of old pads and lowered to the bottom of your pond if they are the hardy kind and not the tropical ones. Some have even had the tropical ones survive when lowered down.

Ask a Question