2022 caught 20 , 2023 #22 - #27, 2024, #28-29, #30 Caught

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was fine mesh net anchored over the wide weave net and fastened to the pond rails so it never got in. I don't know how it survived all week. My cameras only went back to 4am Sunday and it was in there then!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Has anyone ventured a species identification for these snakes? Their triangular heads appear suspiciously like a viper such as the water moccasin or cottonmouth, which are venomous - although Maryland is pretty far north for either of these to be found. However, the common water snake can also look quite forboding. My understanding of snakes is that they are not voracious - i.e., they don't eat a lot - and unless there is an absolute infestation of them, they do not threaten to decimate wildlife numbers. Their primary source of food in the wild is rodents, which is a good thing. Here in central Florida, I am happy to find black snakes and green snakes around my ponds. They are anything but aggressive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just at water level. 4' and really thick! Once I got the net cut off it struck at me and slithered off into the woods. I'm hoping it doesn't come back. Now I have a huge hole in my net.
Big fat = female! Think it is past baby time!

I think mine are gone or at least lower numbers. Have not seen any, recently, have not caught any, recently.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
August through october they have live birth of 30ish babies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELLLLLLL

they are BACK.

So far spotted two, one a juvenile, one a new born or born late last year. Tiny, like pencil thin.

Traps are in! I have a lot of fry, 2 inch or so, the dark ones.
Put the traps in a a few fry swam in, they are now the apple to temp the snakes.

I pulled most of the hornwort, (btw deer love pulled hornwort, eat it like spaghetti). it was the snakes resting hiding spot, to snack on fish. I looked for fish eggs, hope I did not yank a lot out. Never saw any.

Will still pull more as I see it. Water pretty mucked up right now.

Chopped all plants away from the ponds. Let the hawks have a chance to catch them.

The older one came out of the water. By a few inches, stared at me stuck its tongue out.

Wish me snake catching luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
WELLLLLLL

they are BACK.

So far spotted two, one a juvenile, one a new born or born late last year. Tiny, like pencil thin.

Put the traps in a a few fry swam in, they are now the apple to temp the snakes.

I pulled most of the hornwort, (btw deer love pulled hornwort, eat it like spaghetti). it was the snakes resting hiding spot, to snack on fish. I looked for fish eggs, hope I did not yank a lot out. Never saw any.

Chopped all plants away from the ponds. Let the hawks have a chance to catch them.

The older one came out of the water. By a few inches, stared at me stuck its tongue out.

Those dastardly snakes don't have a snowball's chance against you! And I'm gonna need a video of a deer eating hornwort-spaghetti!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I had one, I walked up to the window, white shirt on I could not move. Went to get camera, boom gone

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WELLLLLLL

they are BACK.

You are so ready for those snakies now!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELLLLLLL

they are BACK.

32 Guage with rock salt have a little fun at the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reminds of last Fall. Finally filled the pond, started it up. We are enjoying the look of it. My wife then asks "snakes wont come to the pond, will they?" I froze. Back of my mind thinking of this thread from @addy1. After a moment "Umm, I dont think so". God help me if she sees one.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
WELLLLLLL

they are BACK.

Oy vey! Any idea if Big Momma snake is still in the pond, churning out baby snakes? Hopefully, she was among those you caught last year.

I'd say this whole snake adventure is a Sisyphean task, but it's more like a "Hiss-yphean" task!

Ask a Question