Pond Vac

Reaction score
Has anyone made a pond vac? Does a dry wet vacuum work? I was thinking about putting a hole in the tank of a dry wet vac so I dont have to worry about it getting full quickly. Does anyone know if this works?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
You can put a hole in a wet/dry vac, but you still have to shut the vac off before the water will come out, so it still gets full just as fast.

I drilled a hole in the side of mine toward the bottom and put a valve in there, inside the vac I made a little wire mesh cage to stop most of the big stuff. When I vacuum the pond I set the vac next to the pond, suck up the bottom until the vac is full, and then stick a strainer underneath the valve with some matting in it. then thee water can dump back into the pond but it is mostly filtered.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Clever little gadget and noticed it was available for gift wrapping, lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never saw that before I just use a second hose on the exhaust outlet side

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you used one? Does this allow me to not have to turn off the shop vac?

I have one on my shop vac, just flip on the switch and it pumps the vac dry. The only way i have used it so far is to turn off the vac and use the pump to empty it. The water shoots through a hose around 25 feet if not more. So can not really answer, but I could test it tomorrow if you wish and I remember lol

Reaction score
I have one on my shop vac, just flip on the switch and it pumps the vac dry. The only way i have used it so far is to turn off the vac and use the pump to empty it. The water shoots through a hose around 25 feet if not more. So can not really answer, but I could test it tomorrow if you wish and I remember lol

I wonder if can put a hose on the inlet and use that as an external pump....hmmm

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder if can put a hose on the inlet and use that as an external pump....hmmm

It has a screw in type fitting that screws into the drain port of the vac, not sure if the pump is made to run all the time, i.e. might over heat, it has a sort of fine screen to keep junk out of the pump too. I have the pump on a power strip and just flip it off with my toe when I run the sears pump to drain it.

Reaction score
I found this on another forum. It looks like a brilliant idea. You could use angle iron instead of wood and it would last forever. You vac into the barrel from the pond and out the top bung hole to the shop vac.

PondVac.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I've seen that before. Is that Esther's gizmo that she put together?

Reaction score
Yeah. I've been thinking about building one. I've got tons of 15 and 30 gallon double bung barrels. You could build it in/on a cage to help support the barrel and keep it from collapsing. You could put it on small wheels to take to the pond so that it would be easier to move to dump if you needed to.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep she says it works quite well. Say hi to her from me if you talk to her over there.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Hmm. pretty good idea, would the shop vac really have enough suction to collapse the barrel? I would amost think it would barely have enough suction to do much after going through the barrel, and all that hose. But then again, i've never really tried anything like that before.

Reaction score
The lady that designed it said that without the stays on the barrel, it eventually collapses because of the constant change in pressure as the barrel is filled and emptied. They actually started out with fewer stays on the barrel and added some because it was collapsing.

Ask a Question